KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY – MULTI-DEVICE 2015 BRINGS PROTECTION TO HOME USERS’ PRIVACY, DIGITAL IDENTITY, MONEY AND DATA ACROSS DIFFERENT DEVICES
Dubai, 10 September 2014
Kaspersky Lab announces the release of its newly updated product for home users:Kaspersky Internet Security –multi-device 2015. The solution was developed to protect users of Windows, OS X and Android devices from existing and new threats – making their online lives easier and safer.
Research conducted by Kaspersky Lab and B2B International indicates that Internet user’s biggest concerns while online are the protection of their privacy and identity, theirpersonal data, their finances and their children’s safety. Furthermore, with as many as 77% of people using devices on different platforms, they require multiplatform security solutions, especially considering constant growth of online threats.
According to Kaspersky Lab, about 315,000 new samples of malicious software appear every day. No operating system can be considered safe – the days when attackers focused almost exclusively on Windows are long gone, and attacks on Macs and mobile operating systems are on the rise. After the detection of the Flashback botnet which included more than 700,000 computers running under OS X, Apple users can no longer argue that their operating system is completely safe.
Following the global trend of mobilization, the amount of malicious software for the most popular mobile OS, Android,continues to grow rapidly: Kaspersky Lab detects about 20,000 new samples per month. In turn, phishing websites– fake pages designed to steal personal information – area universal cyber-threat which pose a danger to all users, regardless of their preferred device or operating system. Every month Kaspersky Security Network logs over 137,000 new phishing sites aimed at deceiving people into handing over their sensitive personal and financial data.
In a world of increasingly sophisticated online threats, people want reliable security softwarecapable of fullyprotecting them from cyber-threats on all the devices they use to interact, shop, and bank online. To secure our customers’ data, safeguard their privacyand financial transactions, and help keep their children safe from online harm, Kaspersky Lab is constantly updating and improving the components of its security solutions.
Theselatest versions of Kaspersky Lab’s consumer software incorporate several entirely new technologies that improve the level of protection against encryption malware, prevent webcam surveillance of the user, and shield against the risks of working on vulnerable Wi-Fi networks.Webcam Protection
Webcam hacking, or intercepting images from the webcam, is one way of using malware for online espionage. Many users pay little attention to what might be recorded on their webcams – even though the camera could capture images of documents containing bank details, credit cards, or simply personal activities that people prefer not to expose to strangers. For our customers to be confident that they are never observed without their knowledge or consent, Kaspersky Lab has developed the Webcam Protection feature. It helps monitor which applications attempt to connect to the webcam, warns the user of access attempts, and, if necessary, blocks webcam access.System Watcher
One of the most serious threats to our customers’ documents, pictures, and music comes from so-called cryptomalware, or malware that encrypts files and demands a ransom before restoring access to the information. Once the data is encrypted, not even removing the malware itself can restore access to the encrypted files, so Kaspersky Lab has built a way to regain access to data without paying any ransom. Kaspersky Lab’s System Watcher module analyzes all processes running on the operating system, and now features new data backup functionality. When System Watcher detects a suspicious program attempting to modify a user file, it instantly creates a local backup copy of that file, free from any external changes. If further observation indicates that the program that changed the file was malicious, then the changes will be rolled back.Wi-Fi Security Notification
In the hands of criminals, public wireless networks can easily become yet another tool to intercept user’sdata. That’s why Kaspersky Lab has introduced a Wi-Fi Security Notification module into the new edition of Kaspersky Internet Security. This module verifies the security of Wi-Fi hotspots and alerts the user to any potential threats, such as a vulnerable network connection or the transmission of an unsecured password via the Internet. Users also receive tips and recommendations on how to securely configure their own home Wi-Fi network.
In addition to these key new features, Kaspersky Internet Security – multi-device 2015 includes a number of extra enhancements:
- Automatic updates& upgrades when newer versions become available. This innovation means users willalways have the most recent and reliable version of their security product without the hassle of manually downloading and installing it.
- Improvements were introduced into the Safe Money module to protect online financial transactions at every stage. Now,Safe Moneyalso blocks third-party applications from accessing the web browser clipboard, which may temporarily contain confidential data (such as copied login credentials). The Safe Money module continues to offer protection from screen-capture technology, malicious browser extensions, and other money-stealing tactics used by cybercriminals.
- For users of paid Wi-Fi networks, 3G or LTE connections, the solution now includes the Cost-Aware Networking feature that reduces the amount of data communicated by the product via the net.
- In the anti-phishing module, which helps the user avoid unwanted and malicious webpages, improvements were introduced into the text, image and website link analysis technology. This leads to faster and more accurate detections of fake websites designed to steal money and sensitive user information.
- The main menu and interface has been unified across all products so users can easily navigate applications regardless of the operating system or product version. Careful attention to resourceconsumption has helped improve the effectiveness of security tools without affecting the performance of the operating system.